Girls – this one is for you.
After 21 years of living in Singledom, I have finally found my prince charming (hey babe!). Although the journey to get him wasn’t that straight forward. If I could do one thing, it would be to travel back in time and give myself this checklist – any guys who didn’t achieve ticks in all of the following boxes, simply did not deserve my time.
1) He wants to be with you. Okay, you probably read that thinking duh. But I mean he really wants you to be his girl full stop. There’s no “I like you but I’m not ready for a relationship yet” or “maybe I’ll be able to commit after…”. If you have to convince him – he ain’t the one.
2) He treats you like a princess. Obviously if you’re looking for prince charming, it goes without saying that you are the princess in the story. This doesn’t necessarily mean he spends a lot of money on you – don’t get me wrong. It means that you are the apple of his eye and he’ll do anything to pursue you. If that requires double texting you, then so be it.
3) His actions and his words are filled with love. If your boo ever calls you a naughty word or swears at you (I don’t want to go into specifics because my grandma reads this… but I’m sure you know what I mean), kick him out of your life immediately. He needs to show you love and only love. So if you know that he has a bit of a temper/angry streak, my best advice for you and your future happiness is to get out of there asap.
4) You’re on the same page. I mean this in the sense of you have the same beliefs. It took me a worryingly long time to figure out that if I’m tight with God, the person I share my life with needs to understand that. And to be completely honest, he won’t understand that unless he’s also tight with God. It’s beyond belief how amazing it is to have a boyfriend who loves Jesus as much as I do. The way he serves the Lord and our church inspires me daily, and I personally feel that our relationship is a million times stronger because of that alone.
5) He’s your number one fan. Your babe needs to believe in you and your dreams. When you’re having a down-in-the-dumps-day and you’re the only guest at your pity party, he needs to be there to encourage you and cheer you on.
6) You’re his number one fan too. Respect and honour him too. Loving you will be easier when you show him love back. Make sure that where ever he’s heading in life, you’re always his cheerleader.
The best advice I can give you is to never settle. If he isn’t ticking the boxes, don’t settle for less than you’re worth just because you’re worried no one else will come along. Pray for your future boo, and I promise God will hand-pick you nothing but the best. Until that day, focus on yourself and enjoy life.